January 10, 2022
This heating season (October ’21-March ’22), the U.S. Energy Information Administration estimated the average household will spend $746 on natural gas, $1734 on heating oil, $1268 on electricity and $1789 on propane. Since heating (and cooling) make up a large portion of your family’s energy usage, exploring ways to be more efficient could help lower your bill.
January 10th is National Cut Your Energy Costs Day, here are a few simple steps to save and cut your energy costs:
1. Utilize window treatments to help control temperature – keep curtains, shutters, etc. open during the day to take advantage of the sun’s warm rays.
2. Upgrade to Energy Star – when purchasing new equipment, Energy Star-qualified will be the most energy efficient choice.
3. Change air filters regularly – check your filters every time you switch the calendar to a new month…or even set a recurring reminder on your phone.
4. Purchase a programmable thermostat – don’t spend money on energy being used to heat/cool when no one is home, with a programmable thermostat, you can create a schedule that best accommodates your family’s routine.
5. Seal heating/cooling ducts – this will help ensure that air doesn’t leak, saving up to 20% on heating and cooling costs.
6. Schedule routine maintenance – regular cleanings and tune-ups are a crucial component to the proper operation of your
By taking these simple steps, you can help reduce energy usage and, in turn, your utility costs!
If you need help choosing a programmable thermostat for your home, installation of a new unit or repairs to an existing one, call the professionals at Advance Mechanical.